We love cooking at home because we can choose the very best ingredients that we like to make our dishes. While scallop is the main star of this dish, we added lots of our other favourite foods to complement the taste of the risotto. All fresh ingredients in this dish were bought from our neighbours at Beo Crescent Market, so do drop by some day to enjoy shopping for your favourite foods.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
2 tablespoons of butter
1 cup Arborio Risotto Rice
3 garlic cloves
2 onion shallots
4-6 pieces of scallops
2 big stalks of asparagus
A portion of crab meat
1 litre of chicken stock
2/3 cup of white wine or hua diao wine (We usually substitute white wine with hua diao wine because we prefer the fragrance of this wine. Oh the joys of cooking at home!)
1. To prep, discard the woody ends of the asparagus and chop the asparagus into small pieces. Cut the avocado into small cubes too.
2. Heat the butter in a deep frypan over medium heat, add the onion and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes until softened. Stir in the garlic, then add the rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to coat the grains.
3. Add the wine and stir well as it bubbles and reduces in volume by half.
4. Start adding the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring, allowing each ladleful to be absorbed before adding the next. Continue until you have one ladleful of stock left - this should take about 20 minutes.
5. Add the crab meat and asparagus with the final ladleful of stock and continue to stir for 4 minutes or when the asparagus is cooked. Stir in the avocadoes when done.
6. If you are able to multi-task on the stove, you can take the last ten minutes of cooking the rice to sear the scallops separately in another pan. If not, cook the scallops after the rice is ready.
7. On a plate, lay the scallops on top of the rice and enjoy!