Soft shell crabs are blue crabs that have recently molted their old exoskeleton and are still soft. This is the perfect dish to complement our reflections and thoughts as we enter 2015. We can't think of a better dish to usher in a new beginning for the new year. Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
Ingredients: Vegetable oil, for frying 3 cups corn flour ¼ cup ground black pepper 4 cloves of garlic ½ cup fish sauce ½ lemon green leaves for garnishing
1. Fill a wok to about one-third with oil, and heat it.
2. Combine the corn flour, pepper, and garlic in a medium bowl. Put the fish sauce in a small bowl.
3. Dip each piece of crab very briefly into the fish sauce, gently shaking off excess, and then into the flour mix. Roll the crab over and shake off any extra flour. Set aside. Repeat this process, until all the crab halves are dredged.
4. Gently lay the crabs in the oil. Do not crowd the wok and if necessary, fry them in batches.
5. After 1 to 2 minutes, when the crabs are golden brown, turn them over and cook for another 2 minutes. Drain on clean brown paper towels and serve on a plate of greens.